I won’t tell you which one is better than which, Instead I’ll let you know the difference and you can decide it for yourself.
Each board is unique from the point of view of their functionality, curriculum, abilities and standards. Governed by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), a non-government, private board for school education in India, ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education) is an examination conducted for Grade X and ISC (Indian School Certificate) for Grade XII. CBSE conducts two main examinations – All India Secondary School Examination (AISSE) in Grade-X and All India Senior School Certificate Examination (AISSCE) in Grade – XII.
Following are some crucial points that distinguish the two boards :
CBSE ( Central Board of Secondary Education ) :
- It allows both English & Hindi as a medium of instruction in their schools.
- Curriculum of CBSE is designed to emphasize more on accumulation of knowledge rather than practical learning. It gives slightly more focus on subjects like Maths and Science.
- CBSE schools can easily be found in all parts of the country so this board of study is highly recommended for parents having transferable jobs in India.
- CBSE board is affiliated to Government of India and it is also recognised by NCERT( National Council of Educational Research and Training ).
- CBSE syllabus is followed widely across India for different competitive exams like JEE ( Joint Entrance Examination ) , NEET( National Eligibility and Entrance Test ), etc.
- It allows both regular candidates as well as private candidates to appear for its exams.
ICSE ( Indian Certificate of Secondary Education ) :
- It only allows English as a medium of instruction in its schools.
- ICSE curriculum emphasizes equally on gaining theoretical knowledge as well learning through practicals. It gives slightly more focus on English as a subject.
- CICSE is recognized by many foreign education academies across the world so this board of study is highly recommended for parents who have to move in different countries.
- In ICSE, Students have flexibility of selecting specific subjects. They can also opt for select vocational courses as per their interest.
- Only regular candidates are allowed to give ICSE exams as it does not permit private candidates to appear for its exams.
So which one should you go for? Here are few tips!
CBSE - Students aiming at pursuing a career in Engineering or Medical should prefer this board, as the syllabus and pattern of Indian entrance examinations in these two domains are aligned to the CBSE curriculum. CBSE schools are also cheaper than other boards, thus someone looking for a quality education that doesn’t break the bank, CBSE is the way to go.
ICSE (CISCE) - This can be a board of choice for students aiming at pursuing careers in the fields of Humanities and Management, as the CISCE syllabus is more oriented toward these streams and helps in the development of excellent language skills. Students looking for overall grooming and development should prefer this board over CBSE.
We hope that you now have sufficient information to make an effective and informed decision for your child’s education. If you still have any doubts or are still confused about which one to choose , Get in touch with us to gain more clarity.